QED seeks talented, experienced tutors for Mathematics and Science for students in Grades 4-12. The tutor will help Arabic speaking newcomer and refugees students that are struggling in their classes. The tutors will be guiding them toward study practices and aides that can help them catch up with their peers. Tutors work with individual students in group of 5 to 10 students maximum. Our team offers compassionate, motivating assistance to students, and we expect our new hires to do the same. If you have experience tutoring students in Grades 4-12, please submit an application.
Tutor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend training on using and navigating the e-learning system
- Take attendance sheet for the students at the assigned location and send it out to the project manager.
- Perform a diagnostic assessment at the beginning of the program for each of the registered students.
- Create a welcoming space for the students to talk about the specific issues they have in either Math or Science and work towards empowering them to solve the problem
- Guide the student through e-learning platform of QED, and help them use it on their own.
- Take notes during tutoring sessions so you can follow up with each student later.
- Communicate with parents/guardians/teachers and QED about trouble areas or any other issue that requires attention
- Develop an evaluation report for each student that will help tracking the progress through the semester.
Tutor qualifications and skills
- Currently in post high school program in Math and or Science or already completed College or university and/or has
- Associate degree in Mathematics and/or Science
- Teaching certificate preferred but not mandatory
- Preferred but not mandatory to have 1+ years’ experience tutoring children and teenagers in Canada
- Must have vulnerable Sector Screening
- Able to develop positive rapport with students
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to engage youth and capture their attention to keep attending the sessions
- Fluent in Arabic
- Experience in e-learning systems is a plus
Essential information for prospective tutors to know:
Number of required hours per week: 2 hours per week**
Locations: Scarborough (around Midland and Lawrence Ave)
Toronto (around Runnymede and Bloor St.W.)
Mississauga (around Hurontario and Dundas St. W.)
Duration: First semester: Mid September 2018 to mid January 2019 (16 weeks)
Second semester: Mid February 2019 to mid June 2019 (16 weeks)
**QED will implement Catch-up for two groups of students
Group 1: Grades 4-8: 2 sessions per week; one for Math and the second for Science
Group 2: Grades 9-12: 2 sessions per week; one for Math and the second for Science
So if the prospective tutor is able to teach both Math and Science for both groups then he/she can work upto 4 hours per week per area
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, QED will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
How to apply:
Please send your resume to the following email:
Friday, August 3rd 2018